The field of dentistry that involves the proper diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of dental disorders and diseases is known as General Dentistry. Our facility in San Francisco is committed to serving patients with the right diagnosis and treatment plan.
Some of the common dental problems are missing teeth, improper bite, malocclusions, tooth sensitivity, dental cavities, etc. General dentistry is specialized in treating and preventing dental problems. We are pleased to serve our patients with the utmost care and comfort. Our staff is enthusiastic and dedicated to educate and serve patients in preventing oral infection and diseases.
Why do we emphasize the importance of preventive dentistry?
Preventive dentistry specializes in preventing oral infections and diseases even before their onset. Preventive dentistry includes various oral hygiene habits which can be practiced at home as well as procedures which must be performed by a professional dentist.
How can you prevent yourself from oral infections?
In order to advise a proper treatment plan, we would carefully examine your teeth and suggest a suitable dental plan. We would carry out a few tests and perform procedures that would help prevent the onset of any infection.
- Oral Cleaning: Oral cleaning prevents most of dental infections. Plaque and tartar are the main causes of gingivitis and periodontal disease. Plaque and tartar are bacteria residue that has been accumulated for a long period of time and have eventually hardened. Scaling helps to remove and get rid of the plaque from the surface of the teeth. As an advanced method, an ultrasonic scaling device may be used for this purpose. Oral cleaning also involves root planning, which is a procedure to remove plaque from the surface of the root of the teeth.
- Dental Sealants: Dental sealant is a filling like material which is used to fill in the grooves of the molars and premolars. This prevents the accumulation of microbes in these grooves, thereby reducing the chances of developing cavities.
- Fluoride Treatment: Fluoride is a mineral that makes the teeth stronger and prevents them from developing cavities. We get the supply of fluoride required for our body through drinking water and the toothpaste that we use. However, when it isn't adequate, the teeth may start to become weak. Fluoride treatment helps to increase the level of fluoride in the teeth, making them decay-resistant.
- Dental X-rays: X-rays of the mouth will help to reveal the onset of cavities even before they become apparent. This helps the dentist to treat the cavity at an earlier stage.
- Oral Cancer: Oral cancer is generally caused by excessive smoking and usage of tobacco. A dentist would check the patient's mouth for signs such as redness, sores, lumps, leukoplakia, etc. If any such signs are found, then further tests may be required to confirm the presence of cancer, after which appropriate treatment can be given.
- Salivary diagnosis: Certain oral diseases can be determined by diagnosing the saliva of a patient. Further, preventive measures can be taken against the infection.
As you request an appointment with us, we shall walk you through several ways by which we can improve your oral health. Visit us today in San Francisco for further assistance!